Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Alzheimer's: There is a Bridge

It's funny how things happen. I've been watching Korean movies with English subtitles on youtube to help me learn Korean. Recently, I watched a movie about a young couple where the wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The family mourned the loss of the person they once knew but in the end, discovered that the way to connect with their wife, daughter, and sister was just to love her.

Like when you buy a new car and begin to see that car everywhere, my brain seems to be tuned to Alzheimer's. Yesterday, I read an article on the cbc.ca website about the expected increase in Alzheimer's around the world, particularly in Asia.

Today while working, I clicked on a link from the jazz station I was listening to on the internet, and read about a documentary called There is a Bridge. The documentary goes beyond statistics and science to demonstrate the way that deep emotional connections based on our common humanity can be made with those affected by Alzheimer's.

As the website says, "There is a Bridge...will change the way you imagine Alzheimer's--and quite possibly, how you see yourself".

Click here to watch the documentary trailer:

No comments: