Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Power of Music and Dance: Noraebang and Nobody

A noraebang (literally song room) is a private Karaoke room that you can rent by the hour. I was really resistant about going to noraebang when I was invited in New York but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Because it's in a small room, you can really sing your heart out and it doesn't matter how bad you sound. Actually, I found that as time went on and we sang more and more, I was less self-conscious and my singing got better (or it seemed that way to me, anyway).

I haven't been to noraebang in Korea yet but I sometimes create my own noraebang in my office. I found lots of songs with lyrics on youtube. It's a great way to release stress and change my mood.

Every Tuesday night, I teach English to a group of Dahn masters who work at Kookhakwon. Tonight we did a little noraebang with "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi. Here's the link just in case you're interested ;):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4nOERhczc

"Nobody" by Korean girls-group, Wondergirls, is the most popular pop song in Korea right now. After English class, I joined in a group who were practising the dance for an event tomorrow in Cheonan. Here's the music video with English subtitles. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnVycboTpI0

You may be wondering, Why all this singing and dancing?

More and more research is being done to show the positive effects of music and movement on the brain. Music is one of the important tools that is used in Brain Education. In fact, Ilchi Lee talks about changing your brain and life by integrating positive music, message, and action.

I am consciously choosing to integrate music into my life more because I know it is one of those right-brain things that makes my soul happy and gets me out of my thinking, analytical brain. I may not be the best singer or dancer but to me, that's not the point. Through music and movement, I can change my energy and the kind of energy I am sharing with others.

No comments: