Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hike to Mt. Huksong










A view of Cheonan.



This is Professor Shim in front of an old fortress. KBS (The Korean Broadcasting Service)'s broadcasting tower is in the background.
Professor Shim took Professor Hong and I on a hike to the top of Mt. Huksong, behind UBE. The hike was good brain training for me. I actually asked to go on the hike because I saw a grassy path behind the university and heard that I could take it to the Cyber University building. When Professor Shim offered to take us, I didn't realize he meant to the top of the mountain.
The walk (after the grassy path:) was very steep. My legs felt like jelly, there were mosquitoes, I was sweating a lot and breathing very heavily, and a lot of doubts came into my head. I thought to myself, this hike is a lot like life. I wanted to achieve my goal (get to the top) but there were a lot of thoughts and emotions trying to convince me that it would be better just to turn around. Despite the obstacles, I kept making the choice to keep going. As you can see from the pictures, it was well worth it.
Later, Professor Shim, who works in the department of Brain Education, told us about his research on brainwaves. He uses EEG measurements to show the benefits of Brain Education on the brain. He studies the relationship between the brain and the mind so that people can understand how their thoughts and emotions affect their brain and therefore their physical, emotional and spiritual health.

No comments: