Saturday, August 30, 2008

This is a picture of my room in the dormitory. I sleep and do exercise here (bowing in the morning and Jung-Choong breathing in the evening). I sleep on the floor on a thick quilt. The floor can be heated by water but I haven't had to turn on the heat yet.

Because many Korean homes have this type of floor, called ondol, Koreans tend to sit and sleep on the floor. Having a heated floor in the winter helps promote the "Water up, fire down" principle of health or having a warm belly/lower body and a cool head/upper body.

Doing bowing and Jung-Choong Breathing also helps promote "water up, fire down". Bowing allows me to clear my thoughts and to feel my body and connect with myself. I found this article about an oriental medicine doctor who recommends 108 bows every day to everyone he knows: http://www.koreanbuddhism.net/life/essay_view.asp?cat_seq=25&content_seq=420&priest_seq=0&page=1

Jung-Choong Breathing is a series of breathing postures that help to circulate energy in the body and accumulate energy in the lower abdomen. After doing Jung-Choong Breathing, my head feels refreshed, I can breathe deeper and have more energy. Here's a link to a description of the method, which was developed by the Korea Institute of Brain Science (KIBS): http://brainkibs.org/RnD/JCprogram.asp. KIBS is an NGO (Non-governmental organization) in consultative status with the United Nations ECOSOC. Together with IBREA, KIBS co-hosted the Brain Education Conference and Olympiad.

One of the principles they refer to is the "Water Up, Fire Down" principle, along with "Where your mind goes, energy follows" (basically, where you direct your focus is where your energy goes so keep focusing on your lower abdomen while holding the postures), and "Jung Choong, Ki Jang, Shin Myung" which means that when you 'fill up' your physical power in your lower abdomen, your emotions will shine brightly and your thinking will be clearer.

No comments: