Friday, August 29, 2008

Meeting the Brain Education Department

The Graduate Studies building with Mt. Huksong in the background.

Yesterday I met some of the professors who work in the Brain Education Department. I was very impressed and excited by the breadth of their research interests.
In addition to Professor Shim, whose research I talked about in the Hike to Mt. Huksong post, I met Professors Yoon, Kwak, and Kwon.

- Professor Yoon has a background in Clinical Psychology and studies Emotion/Attention and Brain Education.

- Professor Kwak has a background in Educational Psychology and does quantitative research about Brain Education. She has developed the Brain Operating System Quotient Index.

- Professor Kwon has a background in Educational Anthropology and uses qualitative research to study the interaction between teacher and student in Brain Education programs.

To help me decide about my own research focus, I have also been reading the abstracts, which are in English, of theses of past students. The topics covered include education, health, peace, and gender equality. I am really excited to read research that supports the health and wellness principles I learned as a Dahn Yoga member and instructor and by the greater implications this research has for IBREA's work with the UN community.
The university was originally named the International Graduate University of Peace when founded in 2002. The name was changed to the University of Brain Education last year to reflect the founder's belief that understanding and using the brain well is the key to solving many of the world's problems and ensuring peace on earth.

No comments: