Saturday, September 6, 2008

Pyung Ryu Do and Cognitive Neuroscience

Janggu: A Traditional Korea drum

Yesterday I started two more classes. One is a practical class called Pyung Ryu Do (we call this Rhythm Yoga at the Dahn Centre). Pyung Ryu Do is one form of Brain Education, where music, rhythm, dancing and drumming are practised. The Pyung Ryu Do instructor played the Jung gu and sang while we did Brain Wave Vibration (moving our bodies freely to the rhythm).

This is a great way of releasing stress, tension in your body, and negative thoughts and emotions and easy to do--just put on some of your favourite rhythmic music, close your eyes, focus inside, let your whole body move freely, and focus on the movement not on your thoughts or emotions. Just let those go. Afterwards, I felt like my brain was refreshed and ready to take on my next class...Cognitive Neuroscience.

Cognitive Neuroscience is taught by Professor Yoon Seon Ah. The lecture was entirely in Korean. I didn't really understand anything other than a few words and the discussion at the beginning about what time we should have class and to have breaks or to end early. Some things are universal :)!

I was thankful to have Kim Boon-Young, a high-school English teacher from Seoul who is also a student, sit beside me and write the key points of the lecture in English in her notebook. I can also order the texts in English here in Korea.

During the lecture, I could feel my heart start to beat fast when the professor said we would have to memorize a lot of terms and definitions. Then, I decided to exhale and just focus on the moment and again, the bigger purpose for taking this class. I want to learn more about the parts and functions of the brain so that I can teach others about their brains and how to use it well.

No comments: