Thursday, September 18, 2008

Adventures in Korean Cuisine

As I'm starting to learn, there are a whole variety of foods eaten in Korea. Before this weekend, my culinary adventures were confined to the cafeteria, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Kyochon Chicken (Korean chicken chain) and a Vietnamese Pho Soup restaurant in Seoul. Thanks to some kind people here at UBE and Kukhakwan, I am getting out to explore some other kinds of food.



The restaurants here usually have a specialty. Yesterday, a group of us had lunch at a restaurant that serves pork legs (jokbal) and cold noodles (nangmyeung, which are usually eaten in summer). You wrap the pork in lettuce leaves and hot sauce. It actually is like summer here--usually at least 30 degrees during the day and around 18 at night. Korea has not escaped the effects of global warming--there is very little spring or fall and the summers and winters are getting longer.

I'm not sure why this picture uploaded on its side but it is a picture of a traditional meal we enjoyed with rice, soup, and many sidedishes. The dishes include smoked fish, noodles, roots and stems from plants, chives, and other vegetables. Many of the sidedishes are seasoned with sesame seeds and soy sauce or with hot peppers or hot pepper paste.

This is a picture of some hot peppers drying in a garden close to UBE.

And a Kimchi update...I do not eat Kimchi every day any more. I was being very adventurous when I first arrived, trying everything. I've since learned that even some Koreans don't eat Kimchi or RICE everyday! I've cut back on the spicy foods a bit and my stomach has thanked me for it.

No comments: